Interesting Things

I found a couple of Internships/Fellowships that can probably be used by Interior Design graduate students. Since I’ve been back from Italy, I’ve contemplated going abroad again to study architecture/design and how it helps people. I was inspired by a Streets For People tour that we took in Tuscania with longtime set and theatre designers Kurt and Eva. They gave us a tour of the city and showed us parts we hadn’t seen before…including beautiful porticos and walkways made exclusively for pedestrians. They showed us how the 1970’s earthquakes in the city had created a culture of Old City vs. New City and how the new city had started falling to pieces and was basically being abandoned. The book “Streets for People: An American Primer” was written by Bernard Rudofsky, a pretty formidable character in regards to design. He meant the book to be a putdown to American architecture, but it still has relevancy to design today.

Anyway, that leads me to the intent of this post, which was to share internship/fellowship opportunities:

Sir John Soanes Museum Foundation Fellowship:
“The purpose of the Traveling Fellowship is to enable students in graduate degree programs in the history of art, architecture and the decorative arts to travel to England to pursue research projects related to any aspect of the work of Sir John Soane or Sir John Soane’s Museum and its collections.”

The WorldStudio AIGA Scholarship:
“The WorldStudio AIGA Scholarship is available to full-time undergraduate and graduate students who are studying the design/arts disciplines at a college or university in the United States. You must be a minority or economically disadvantaged student and demonstrate outstanding ability and financial need as well as a commitment to giving back to the larger community. Your selection is based on your portfolio, statement of purpose, demonstrated need, academics, and recommendations.”

Fulbright Grant:
“The Fulbright Grant Program is open to U.S. citizens who are interested in international study. Students in all fields of study are eligible to apply for this award. Preference is given to students whose higher education was received primarily in the United States and who have not lived in the country in which they wish to study for more than six months. You must have or will have earned a B.A. or its equivalent before the beginning date of the grant. You may have a J.D., but may not have obtained a Ph.D. at the time of application. Applicants in medicine must have an M.D. or its equivalent. You must also have sufficient proficiency in the written and spoken language of the proposed host country.”

That’s all for now. I tried to find opportunities that may not have been as obvious as looking on the ASID website. For more info, check out


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s